Friday, February 27, 2009

Chew on This

We hit another Max Milestone yesterday. I put him down, as usual, for his afternoon nap. However, he was not tired at all. I heard him for 45 minutes babbling in his crib. Not upset one bit, just talking and talking and talking. After awhile, I started wondering, "what is he actually doing in there?" He often talks himself to sleep, but not for this long. We were certainly past the window of him actually falling asleep for an afternoon nap.  

So I creep into his room, peek around the corner and discover...

Max. Standing. In. His. Crib. 

A Milestone.

One we have been prepared for. We lowered the mattress weeks ago in anticipation for this next step. However, it is still one of those AHA! moments when you realize your child has discovered how to do something new.

The story doesn't end here. I realize [very quickly!] that as he is standing, he is also teething on the side of his crib [Can I pause briefly to  mention that this is brand new furniture that converts to a toddler bed and then a full size bed? In other words, this furniture is an investment that we are going to use for years and years and years to come! Why doesn't he understand this?].  

I pulled him out of his crib lickity-split. [Sam did ask my later if I used it as a teaching moment. You know in a quiet and loving voice, "Max, no thank-you, we don't chew on furniture..." Uh no, I did not use it as a teaching moment. I yanked him out of the crib.]

So I am sure you are all desperate to know what we decided to do to ensure our furniture does not get chewed up by our almost ten-month-old. 

Option 1: Sleep in pack-n-play until further notice.

Option 2: Purchase Kid Kusion - a safe, non-toxic, bpa-free rail cover that will provide a chewy soft surface for teething [Yes, I just read this directly from the pacakge].

So here is where we stand [haha, pun intended] as of today. Max slept soundly in his pack-n-play last night and will remain in his cozy portable crib until Mommy and Daddy apply the gummi crib rail cover.

You sure are keeping us on our toes, Mister!




3 comments:

Becky said...

Way to go Max! I can't believe you are standing sweet boy. And good job for keeping Mommy and Daddy on their toes!

Giving Love Encounters said...

I love it!

Joyful said...

Yea Max!!! I remember the first time I found Jett standing. Its such a proud moment! Way to go Max!